Laurence Dacade x

sewbutterfly:

Would you wear?

Originally posted on Maison Bentley Style:

fe02e3f556c6c0fe9a05e60348dfe7780ac71c590a8bdd42c81289e6bffa28c3

An exquisite piece of artwork by Laurence Dacade..and to think they can fit on your feet….

Laters, Kate x

View original

McCall 2818 – COMPLETED!

I have a much needed top to add to my wardrobe!

20140723-210742-76062577.jpg

20140723-210743-76063374.jpg
I originally planned to sew sleeves, but decided not. I also vetoed the scoop neck and went with the V-cut neckline! I cut about 1/2″ off the length, ’cause I have a short torso. And, added hem lace for finishing.

I love the fit! I plan to make another in white silk! Until then…HAPPY SEWING!

P.S. My children go back to school in 2 weeks – YIKES!!!

McCall 2818

I need more tops in my life and I’ve been wanting to sew up this pattern for Y-E-A-R-S!

20140716-085633-32193074.jpg
This top/blouse pattern has princess seaming and a button-down back. It is written by Palmer/Pletsch and is a “Learn to Fit a Full Bust” pattern; including how to fit a sway-back!

So, I have leftover white silk from another project; just enough for View D (sleeveless and V-cut neckline). I also have a light blue stretch cotton from my stash, for which I will sew View B (short-sleeved and scoop neck). I’ve picked pretty vintage buttons for both tops!

20140716-090811-32891230.jpg

I ALWAYS have to do a FBA, and so I made a muslin. After the first fitting, I extended the length 2″ on the back piece; pinned out excess on front and side front pieces; and, extended 1″ on front facing.

After fitting alterations made – the second muslin fitting…

20140716-091939-33579853.jpg

20140716-091940-33580575.jpg

20140716-091941-33581362.jpg
PERFECTO! (Oh, and yes I cut-off my locs!)

I transferred all of my alterations onto pattern pieces. Am now cutting out the pattern with my fabric! Will keep y’all updated!

Until next time, HAPPY SEWING!

Project Kate: Wedding Dress – Skirt and Completion

The skirt was seven pieces and I constructed with french seams. The mother-of-the-bride (my friend), cut out lace details and hand appliqued randomly throughout the skirt!

20140630-154933-56973501.jpg

Can you see it? It is beautiful! And, as you can also see, I added a tulle overlay.

20140630-155349-57229865.jpg

I made an underskirt of silk charmeuse for the lining and outerskirt and gathered tulle layers for poofiness!

20140630-160433-57873901.jpg

Here is the dress in motion!

20140630-160526-57926911.jpg

20140630-161022-58222846.jpg

She loved her dress…and, I was happy to be a part of her “Happy Day”!

The Floral Lounge

…pants!

20140623-220332-79412646.jpg

I originally had this fabric slated for a dress. Not sure the type of fabric – it’s like satin; the wrong side is shiny and right side is matte. But, when I saw these pants on Burdastyle, I knew this was the pattern to sew with this fabric! But, I used New Look 6764, View A (no tie, just an elastic waist).

20140623-222547-80747843.jpg

I planned on adding a cotton lining, but decided against it. This fabric could hold its own – a nice quality fabric! I used french seams – this fab ravels a lot. All-in-all, I’m pleased!

Project Kate: Wedding Dress

Why I failed in how I wanted to participate in Me-Made May ’14 and, why you did not hear/see a lot of me during May and June!

I had great fun shopping for the fabric! White silk dupioni, silk organza, white silk charmeuse, white lace, dusty pink satin, tulle, Jeweled piece on tulle (for belt), covered boning, dusty pink floral buttons, separating zipper, and 7″ zipper (for skirt). Oh, and a off-white beautiful piece of lace for shoulder “sleeves”.

Here’s the inspiration dress!

The basic pattern I used was Butterick 4131. I made a muslin mock of all for fitting.

20140622-180524-65124264.jpg

Cutting silk: I took tips from Jen from Grainline Studio. Best advice ever…this step was drama-free!

20140622-181113-65473508.jpg

Bodice:
I basted the silk organza to wrong side of all bodice pieces cut from the silk dupioni; then basted the lace to the right side of all bodice pieces.

20140622-181710-65830825.jpg

20140622-181710-65830089.jpg

I ruched (or, “rouched”) silk organza as an overlay for the bodice and, that was basted to the bodice as well. A separating zipper is the main closure in the back of the bodice. Additional closure touches in back are the pretty dusty pink buttons – I stitched button loops using ribbon! Then boning was added and this bodice was fully lined in silk charmeuse.

20140622-184906-67746355.jpg

20140622-190011-68411433.jpg

20140622-190012-68412592.jpg

Then, I hand-stitched the jeweled belt to the bodice and the jeweled lace at shoulders (as sleeves). I also, sewed a fabric bow from the dusty pink satin. I attached to back of bodice using hook and eyes. Bodice completed…and, I was one tired Chica!

20140622-191105-69065806.jpg

20140622-191106-69066174.jpg

I will tell you about the construction of the skirt next time! Until then,

…HAPPY SEWING!

Thrifty Alterations

Some months ago, I found these polka dot and navy shorts at my local thrift shop. They were too big for me, but I liked!

20140617-223642-81402722.jpg

So, I took them in about 2.5 inches…Perfect fit! And, they look nice paired with my red Burda Drape Neck Top…Perfect!

20140617-223816-81496823.jpg